What is AS9100?
AS9100 is the international management system standard for the Aircraft, Space and Defense (AS&D) industry. The standard provides suppliers with a comprehensive quality system for providing safe and reliable products to the aerospace industry. AS 9100 also addresses civil & military aviation requirements.
It contains the actual requirements an organization must be in compliance with to become AS9100 registered. If the organization creates a Quality Management System which meets these requirements they can seek AS9100 Registration, resulting in their “AS9100 Certificate”. Specifically, AS9100 is an SAE document (managed by the IAQG) that defines requirements for the AS9100 Quality Management System Standard. It is based upon ISO 9001.
- Read: Compare AS9100 and ISO 9001
- View “Basics of AS9100” Tutorial
- Read: AS9100 Requirements
- Read: Aerospace Standards Selection – Which standard is right for me.
Companies that design, develop, and/or produce aviation, space and defense products; and by organizations providing post-delivery support, including the provision of maintenance, spare parts, or materials, for their own products.
AS 9100 has been endorsed by all major Aerospace regulators, including:
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
- U.S. Department of Defense (DoD)
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).
- ISO 10006 Project Management
- ISO 10007 Configuration Management
- Read about ISO 10007 Configuration Management
- Buy a copy of the guidance Configuration Management Standard (ISO 10007)
- ARP 9134 Risk Management
- AS9102 First Article Inspection (FAI)
- AS9103 Key Characteristics
- Read What is AS9103 Key Characteristics
- Buy a copy of the guidance Key Characteristics Standard (AS9103)
The International Aerospace Quality Group (IAQG) manages the Standard.
- The current revision is Rev. C (AS9100C 2009), but AS9100B is still active.
- If you aren’t already, please become familiar with:
- IAQG Supply Chain Management Handbook (SCMH) helps the supply chain improve their quality performance through better understanding of AS&D QMS standards (i.e. AS9100/10/20) and expectations. Many helpful tools as well as training.
- IAQG OASIS – This online resource contains a list of suppliers who are certified/registered under the IAQG rules to be in compliance with the aerospace quality management system requirements (9100 series). This resource also contains all bodies involved in the process (i.e. National Accreditation Bodies, Certification/Registration bodies and Authenticated Aerospace Experienced Auditors).
AS9100 Includes all of ISO 9001 quality management system requirements and specifies additional requirements for a quality management system for the aerospace industry. The additional aerospace requirements are shown in bold, italic text., and most are augmentations of the requirements contained in ISO 9001.
How long does AS9100 (as9100c, as9100b) implementation take? There are several factors to consider.
How much does AS9100 (as9100c, as 9100b) implementation cost? Use this table to estimate the cost.