What is AS9120?
The AS 9120 Standard is the requirements for a Quality Management System based on AS 9100 which adds 100+ additional requirements that are specific to distributors who carry aircraft components like, fasteners, electronics, gaskets, etc. It helps ensure that they handle the materials properly and track the part from OEM to customer. AS9120 was developed for pass-through distributors of aerospace items and addresses chain of custody, traceability, control and availability of records.
Companies that procure parts, materials and assemblies and sells these products to a customer in the aviation, space and defense industries. This includes organizations that procure products and split them into smaller quantities.
This standard is not intended for organizations that rework or repair products. Organizations that perform work that affect or could affect product characteristics or conformity should use AS9100 or another general quality management system standard.
The standard would be applicable for organizations that resell, distribute, and warehouse parts found in aircraft and other aerospace components. Value-added distributors would NOT be included for the standard to due to customer-product changes. (Use AS9100)
- ASA – Aviation Suppliers Association
- IDEA – Independent Distributors of Electronics Association
- ERAI – Electronic Resellers Association International
SAE manages this standard which is regulated by the IAQG (International Aerospace Quality Group).
AS9120 (2002) is obsolete, (see AS9120 Rev A changes)
- There is no need to buy Copy of AS9120
- It is based upon ISO 9001:2000
AS9120 Rev A (2009) is current
- Buy Copy of AS9120 Rev A
- AS9120 A QMS Assessment, Mar 2010
- It is based upon ISO 9001:2008
Other Standards referenced in AS9120a See Aerospace Standards Explained
AS9101 QMS Audit Requirements for AS&D Registration (Pertains to AS9100C/9110A/9120A)
AS5553 Counterfeit Parts
ISO 10005 Quality Plans
ISO 10007 Configuration Management
Like AS9100, certification to AS9120 rev A expands your market and improves your organization:
- An opportunity for improved product quality, traceability and reduced risk.
- Aligns your company to the best practices of the aerospace industry
- Demonstrates that you can deliver quality products and services to your customers
- Elevates your quality management system to the global standard adopted by the aerospace industry (IAQG)
- Expands your customer base to include global aviation companies
- Perform a Gap Analysis to determine what your existing QMS needs.
- Document your system with a Quality Manual and Procedures. The AS9100 Store offers a complete set of documentation ready for you to customize. Learn more…
- Implement the new procedures
- Audit your system to make sure you procedures are being followed
- Have a registrar audit your company for certification to ISO 9120
For a more detailed explanation, our AS9100 Steps to Certification will still apply since the standards are so similar.